Monday, March 15, 2010

Keanu Reeves

Keanu Reeves is not a good actor. At his very best, he is competent enough that he does not bother the viewer; in The Matrix he got by largely because he barely had any lines apart from "whoah" and "what." He's functional and able to play characters that are very dull, sort of annoying, or both. At his worst, though, he is an enormous detriment to the films he is in: see Constantine (although that one had plenty of other problems) and The Devil's Advocate (that horrible accent!) for examples.

Looking through his acting career, the highest praise I can muster for him is that he was okay in a few movies. The worst criticism I can muster is that he was a terrible abomination which brought an otherwise good movie to its knees. His range, therefore, is somewhere between okay and catastrophically awful. Not a great average.

One time I heard a rumor that he was being considered to play the lead role in an adaptation of The Sandman, and I almost cried. I think I may have made some threatening statements while I was not in my right mind. It is safe to say, however, that if someone is ever considering Keanu Reeves for a part in a movie, they would probably be better off with someone else.

Grade: F+

3 comments:

  1. Harsh, Daniel! And no recognition for Bill and Ted? That is just weird. And I know what you will say: "He's functional and able to play characters that are very dull, sort of annoying, or both." Whatever, man. There is some talent in making a character that dumb that charming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And he made me laugh in Thumbsucker, but maybe those movies are what earns him the plus in F+.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To give Keanu Reeves an F+ is to ignore the brilliance and splendor of Point Break. That movie alone bumps him up to a solid D--shameful, but still passing.

    ReplyDelete